Friday, May 25, 2012

Making Homemade Coconut Milk

I like making things that I usually need to buy. Not only is it fun it is as well frequently much cheaper than buying it from the store.


I've previously demonstrated how to make some oat milk and I love using the oat milk when I am baking and I am sure that I won't use cow milk in baking ever again!

But today we are here to talk about coconut milk. Making coconut milk is easier then oat milk, it even takes less time!

There are only two ingredients in the coconut milk I make. Since I use it for cooking, baking and all kinds of shenanigans I don't add any flavor enhancers.

Ingredients:
250 ml shredded coconuts
500 ml warm water

The water shouldn't be boiling hot but it should be somewhat warm, what I like to do is to put the water in a pot and heat it up until it burns when I test the temperature.

Add the shredded coconut into the water and let it stand for couple of minutes. Put it into a blender and blend on the lowest setting for one minute and let it stand again for about 15 minutes.

The reason I let it stand is to give the water a chance to absorb as much as possible from the shredded coconut.


After that it is time to sieve the shredded coconut away from the liquid. I have found the best way to do that is through a muslin. 



Don't throw away the coconut gunk! It can be dried and used for baking, in your oat meal, with your yogurt and anything you can imagine. 





I have never had to sieve the coconut milk more than once.



Store it in a fridge, it needs to be consumed in 4-5 days! 

Bisous

P.S. Check out my homemade oat milk post! 

2 comments :

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing! I think I will try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love making coconut milk and I make it regularly!

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I try to answer all of the comments but you can as well reach me on twitter @tafraises

Bisous

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...